Below you will find a list of discussion questions for each of my books. I recommend that you do not read the discussion questions until you've read the book, as some of the questions contain spoilers!
Discussion Questions: Secrets of Hallstead House
1. Should adopted children look for their birth parents? Why? Should they involve their adoptive parents in the search? When is it time for someone to stop looking for his or her birth parents? Does the act of looking promote healing or does it re-open the wounds that may still exist? Is it appropriate for people who are not adopted or who haven't experienced adoption to have such a discussion?
2. Did Alex do the right thing by inviting Macy to the island before telling her about their true relationship?
3. How would the story have been different if Macy knew her birth family her whole life?
4. What if she had learned about her birth family just before leaving New York and moving to the Thousand Islands?
5. How do you feel about the way Alex and Stephan kept tabs on Macy while she was growing up?
6. What are examples of toxic relationships that have been in the news?
7. How do these compare to the way Giselle behaved toward Brandt and the rest of the characters in the book?
8. Do you think Alex has learned to forgive herself for not being present for much of Diana's young life?
9. Do you think Diana's life turned out the way it did because of Alex's absence while she was growing up?
10. What do you think of Brandt? Do you think he encourages Giselle's behavior?
11. What do you think Stephan's role in the book is?
12. Were you satisfied with the book's ending? What do you think happened in the twenty years between the beginning of the book and the present? Is she married to Pete? Do they have children?
Discussion Questions: The Ghosts of Peppernell Manor
1. Do you think the book would have been different if it had been set somewhere else? Do you think the South is an important character in the story?
2. Do you believe in Sarah?
3. How do you feel about Vivian? Do you like her? Dislike her? Why?
4. Do you think Graydon dealt with Vivian’s prejudices in a way that was diplomatic? Do you think he did the right thing or should he have addressed her issues in a different manner?
5. What would you have done if you had to make the decision about the manor’s future: kept it in the family, using the family’s money for the manor’s restoration, or sold the management of the property to a company that would pay for the manor’s restoration and diversify its uses?
6. How do you think Cora-Camille felt about Phyllis? Did she think of Phyllis as merely an employee?
7. Why do you think the slave cabins hadn’t been touched since the mid-nineteenth century?
8. Put yourself in Evie’s shoes when she finds out Harlan was responsible for the death of their grandmother. What would you have done?
9. Heath lost his twin in the story. Do you think he feels any differently about Harlan’s death than Evie does?
10. What do you think the future holds for Peppernell Manor? Will the heirs (either Graydon or his children) decide to keep the farm and property or will they allow the manor to be managed by an outside interest?
11. Ruby has an anxiety disorder in the story. Do you think that disorder played a role in her actions toward Harlan?
Discussion Questions: House of the Hanging Jade
1. Two overt signs of Geoffrey's personality before he moved to the island of Hawaii were Meli's refusal to let him pet her and his behavior following Kailani home one night after work. Did you notice any others?
2. How did you feel about Liko? Did you like him? Why or why not? How about Lars?
3. Is there anything Kailani should have done differently to deal with Geoffrey? Should she have gone to the police earlier?
4. What did you think of the setting of the book? Do you think the setting added to the story or detracted from it? Do you consider the setting to be one of the characters of the book?
5. What do you think were the themes of the story? What do you think the author is saying?
6. How does Kailani change and grow throughout the book? How about Barbie?
7. How would the story be different if Kailani and Liko hadn't been friends since childhood?
8. Were you satisfied with the book's ending? What do you think the future holds for Liko? Barbie? Marcus?
Discussion Questions: The House on Candlewick Lane
1. How do you think Sylvie changed throughout the story?
2. What do you think Greer learned about herself as a result of her experiences in the book?
3. Why do you think the author told Greer's story about her time in the house on Candlewick Lane as a series of flashbacks?
4. What is the theme of the story?
5. Is there a particular scene or passage that encapsulates Greer?
6. Who was your favorite character and why?
7. Who was your least favorite character and why?
8. Did you learn anything new from reading the book?
9. How do you think the setting contributed to the story?
10. What do you think is next for the characters?
Discussion Questions: Murder in Thistlecross
1. Do you think Hugh had feelings for Sian? Was that part of the reason Hugh and Andreas didn't get along?
2. Did Sian know about Andreas's drug dealing? Did Cadi know that Hugh took over Andreas's clients after Andreas was killed?
3. Why did Annabel wait so long to ask her sons for forgiveness for failing to protect them when they were children?
4. Did her sons lie when they said she was forgiven for her inaction when they were young? If so, why?
5. Why do you suppose Annabel didn't give her sons the letter that was found in her desk?
6. How do you feel about Maisie's involvement in Andreas's death?
7. How do you feel about Annabel's involvement in Arthur's death?
8. What do you think the future holds for Eilidh and Griff?
9. Do you think Sian will continue to live at Thistlecross Castle, or will she eventually return to London with André?
10. What do you think the future holds for Cadi and Rhisiart?
Discussion Questions: The Worst Noel
1. How would you describe Lilly's relationship with her daughter?
2. Do you think Lilly relies too much on her brother, Bill?
3. Why do you suppose Beau chose this particular time to return to Juniper Junction?
4. The author gave Lilly a Muslim love interest, while Lilly is a Christian. What sorts of issues can you envision between the two of them as the series continues?
5. If you have a family member or friend who has been affected by dementia, you know that there are light moments among the darker ones. What do you think lies ahead for Bev and her family?
6. Do you think Lilly should embrace the idea of her kids getting to know their father better?
7. Do you think it was a good idea for Lilly to get her mother a puppy for Christmas, given the problems her mother faces?
8. There are times when Tighe, Lilly’s son, seems like the perfect teenager. Does such a person exist? Do you think Tighe is as angelic as he appears?
9. Who is your favorite character and why?
10. Did you suspect Hassan of taking Lilly’s jewelry designs? Do you think Lilly was too slow or too quick to believe he was the culprit?